Wednesday 19 October 2016

Mistral Equipe and One Design Mast Track Pedal Replacement

Mistral windsurfer mast track pedal repair


If you've got a Mistral Equipe or One Design windsurfing board, chances are at some point you will have a broken foot pedal. Without this, the mast base can't slide in the track while you are on the move. A search of the web will reveal that these parts are no longer available. A windsurfing buddy of mine even contacted Mistral by email and was told that the moulds had been destroyed and that they recommended cannibalising old boards to get the parts. However, all of the pedals fail in the same way so this isn't really an option.
Mistral Equipe Race Board

When my Mistral's pedal broke in 2016, I decided to make a replacement myself. I ordered a piece of nylon from eBay for £5.29. This was 10mm thick and 200m x 100mm in size which is plenty for a few foot pedals.

First I marked out the pedal on the material using my old broken one. This was easy enough to remove by carefully driving out the small pin that holds it onto the mast track.


Then I cut this piece out using a normal hacksaw.


Before going any further, I measured the size of the pin (3mm) and drilled a hole right through the material.



Having done this, I cut out the rest of the pedal using a combination of hacksaw, file and coping saw and some angle grinding too. This nylon is quite hard stuff to work with compared to other materials.


In the centre of the recess there has to be a small piece which is hard to recreate by hand. So instead on this pedal (the prototype) I cheated and used a small self-tapping screw. This is an important part as it is this which presses on the other part of the mechanism to release the mast track. The advantage of using a screw is that you can pack it with washers to get the clearance how you want it.

I test fitted the pedal on the board and adjusted as required to get it fitting well.

The next step was to make the red pedal retaining clip fit. 


This requires a groove to be cut so the the red clip will click into place. I cut this using a series of hacksaw cuts and a narrow wood chisel. Once it all fitted nicely I refitted the two parts to the mast track and it works as it should.



Since I made this first pedal, I have been asked to make some more for other Mistral windsurfing guys. I cut one more out by hand and on this occasion did not use a self-tapping screw as I managed to cut the shape out more accurately based on my previous experience. 

I have also cast two experimental glass reinforced epoxy pedals in plasticine moulds. If these prove to be successful I will add some more info to this page showing their construction in detail.

Left 2 - epoxy castings, original broken Mistral pedal, hand cut pedal made from nylon


2 comments:

  1. How was the replacement turned out. I have the same situation on my equip and want to know if the replacement you made works or not. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pedal I cut from nylon worked fine and is still on the board now. The ones I cast weren't strong enough. On the Facebook "Old School Windsurfers" group there is someone selling these pedals which I believe are 3D printed.

      Delete